Spartanburg, South Carolina
Drayton Mills was constructed in 1902 by former Spartanburg mayor Arch Calvert, John H. Montgomery, J.B. Cleveland, J. F. Floyd, W.A. Law, W.E. Burnett, and A.L. White. Designed by Lockwood, Greene & Co., the mill was named in honor of Col. Drayton, a Revolutionary War hero. The spinning mill was the first building constructed with the weaving mill, warehouses and company store following as later additions. The mill closed in the 1990s, and on Oct. 24, 2012, Drayton Mills was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A portion of the extensive mill has been converted into a 289-unit luxury apartment community known as Drayton Mills Lofts, which includes a 60-foot lap pool, fitness center and other amenities.