The Kahl Mansion was built in 1920 by Henry Kahl as his family home. It was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style by Davenport architect Arthur Ebeling. In 1954, Bishop Ralph Leo Hayes invited the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm to the diocese and in 1955 they turned the house into a 25-bed, dormitory-style retirement home called the Kahl Home for the Aged and Infirmed. Another addition in 1987 brought the total number of beds to 135. The original house provided living space for the sisters, offices, and guest rooms. The property has now been transformed into 49 units from studios to 2+ bedroom apartments as well as a fitness center.