Newberry, South Carolina
Oakland Mill, also known as Oakland-Kendall Mill, is a historic textile mill complex. The original section was built between 1910 and 1912, with building expansion campaigns conducted in 1949-50 and 1950-51. The original section reflects Romanesque revival design influences. The complex includes the main mill building, a one-story brick office building, a two-story brick boiler house with a brick smokestack and auxiliary building, two masonry and concrete warehouses, two wood-frame auxiliary storage buildings, a railroad spur, two water towers and a reservoir. The mill remained in operation until the 2009.
The mill, located only six-tenths of a mile from the campus of Newberry College, was converted into student residences, consisting of student bedroom suites, meeting rooms, study areas and a game lounge. The remainder of the space is made up of non-student apartments.